Navigating OCEG's Professional Certifications Suite: Core Certifications Vs. Integrated Professional Certifications
This blog is a comprehensive guide to OCEG's Professional Certification Suite. Navigate the intricacies of Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC) certifications with insights into OCEG's two key tiers: Core Certifications and Integrated certifications. Discover how OCEG's commitment to knowledge democratization and industry leadership makes it the ideal choice for professionals shaping the future of GRC practices globally.
We get it - navigating the world of professional certifications is exhausting, especially in a field as vast as GRC. We’re here to help. At OCEG, we've designed our Professional Certification Suite to cater to each of our members across every discipline of GRC. Our goal is to simplify your certification journey by offering a seamless experience that aligns with your specific needs and career stage. Whether you're just starting out or seeking advanced certifications, OCEG’s Professional Certification Suite provides a clear roadmap, ensuring that your pursuit of professional excellence in Governance, Risk, and Compliance is both guided and rewarding. Here’s how.
Membership Tiers Overview
At OCEG, we've thoughtfully designed a range of professional certifications to cater directly to our members, no matter what stage of their career journey they’re in. Our certification suite utilizes two tiers (Core and Integrated) to provide you with more than just options; our tiers give you autonomy in your professional education and allow you to strategically approach every stage of your GRC journey however you need to. Here’s a breakdown of the two tiers:
Core Certification Tier:
OCEG's Core Certification tier serves as a comprehensive introduction to the broad spectrum of GRC.
- Focus: The Core Certification tier is designed to provide a foundational understanding of the essential principles and practices within GRC. It serves as an entry point for professionals who are relatively new to the field or are seeking a comprehensive understanding of the basics.
- Coverage: Core certifications cover fundamental concepts across all six critical disciplines of GRC, ensuring a well-rounded knowledge base. Professionals who aim to establish a strong foundation and gain proficiency in core GRC principles opt for this certification tier.
- Ideal for: Individuals at the beginning of their GRC journey, including students, career transitioners, and those looking to build a solid understanding of the foundational aspects of Governance, Risk, and Compliance.
Integrated Certification Tier:
OCEG’s Integrated Certification tier offers a more targeted and advanced exploration of specific GRC disciplines.
- Focus: The Integrated Certification tier is geared towards experienced GRC professionals who are ready to delve deeper into the intricacies of specific GRC disciplines. It provides a more specialized and advanced level of certification, catering to individuals seeking to enhance their expertise in targeted areas.
- Coverage: Integrated certifications allow professionals to focus on specific disciplines within GRC, providing in-depth knowledge and skills relevant to their areas of interest or specialization. This tier is designed for those with a solid foundation looking to deepen their expertise in particular GRC domains. They act as a capstone to your professional portfolio.
- Ideal for: GRC practitioners who have gained foundational knowledge through Core Certifications and are now ready to specialize in specific disciplines, thereby advancing their career and contributing more strategically to their organizations.
- Ideal for: Professionals who have not obtained any core certifications from OCEG with an established GRC career and portfolio who are looking for a holistic capstone certification. Integrated Certifications signify your association with the originators of GRC, establishing industry leadership and credibility while aligning your personal brand with OCEG's mission-driven commitment to open-access education.
Certification Tiers & Offerings
We currently offer five (5) certifications within our Professional Certification Suite, two (2) Core Certifications, and three (3) Integrated Professional Certifications.
Core Certification Offerings
In OCEG's certification framework, the GRCP and GRCA certifications fall under the Core Certification tier, offering a foundational understanding of Governance, Risk, and Compliance. Here’s an outline of the certifications offered within this tier:
- The GRC Professional (GRCP) certification is the cornerstone of OCEG’s Professional Certification Suite. Centering around the GRC Capability Model 3.5, the GRCP certification leverages OCEG’s foundational teachings to build professional, well-rounded skillsets across the GRC space. The certification teaches professionals to integrate governance, strategy, performance, risk, compliance, ethics, security, privacy, and audit to attain Principled Performance.
- The GRC Auditor (GRCA) certification is the second certification in OCEG’s Professional Certification Suite. Obtaining this certification validates that you understand and can apply audit and assurance skills to evaluate your organization's established (and planned) GRC capabilities. It ensures you have the versatile skill set to assess and report on the strengths and weaknesses in governance, strategy, performance management, risk management, compliance, ethics, internal control, security, privacy, and audit activities. Note: It is only available to those who hold a GRCP certification, which provides the necessary foundational GRC knowledge.
Integrated Certification Offerings
In OCEG's certification framework, the IDPP, IAAP, and IPMP certifications are part of the Integrated Certification tier, providing a more specialized and advanced exploration of specific GRC disciplines. Here’s an outline of the certifications offered within this tier:
- The Integrated Data Privacy Professional (IDPP) certification is an exam and certification program developed by OCEG, the originators of GRC, and is tailored for professionals seeking to add a capstone certification to their Data Privacy portfolio. This certification demonstrates an individual's understanding and skills in applying the Data Privacy Capability Model within their organization. Serving as a crucial component of a Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC) capability, effective data privacy management is emphasized as fundamental for achieving Principled Performance. The IDPP certification offers a holistic approach to governance, risk, and compliance, with a specific focus on the data privacy/protection domain, making it ideal for professionals engaged in any aspect of data privacy, protection, or governance. The certification and its training validate an individual's ability to develop a fully integrated and effective data privacy program, showcasing a versatile skill set to integrate and provide guidance on applying a GRC approach to governance, management, and assurance of the data privacy program. The Data Privacy Capability Model, taught by the program, ensures that professionals have tangible evidence of their understanding of relevant data privacy laws, rules, regulations, and concepts from the public domain.
- The Integrated Audit & Assurance Professional (IAAP) certification is an exam and certification program developed by OCEG, the originator of GRC, and is designed to validate your ability to perform assessments and provide assurance. The IAAP certification adopts a structured approach, empowering its holders to assess key risks across the organization and assure stakeholders that they have been appropriately handled. Differentiating itself from other certifications, IAAP doesn't focus on specific roles like "internal audit," "external audit," or "quality assurance"; instead, it integrates all these perspectives, offering a unified view of audit and assurance, distinguishing it as the advanced counterpart to OCEG’s GRCA certification. The IAAP certification ties together functional areas across an organization, providing assurance over risk areas with the responsibility, reporting lines, and power to do so.
- The Integrated Policy Management Professional (IPMP) certification is an exam and certification program developed by OCEG, the originators of GRC, and is designed to showcase an individual's ability to apply the principles and practices of an effective policy management capability. The certification exam assesses candidates' awareness and application of concepts outlined in the Integrated Policy Management Capability Model. Essentially, the IPMP certification serves as a comprehensive resource for best practices, well-defined management methods, and practical tools for establishing and executing a Policy Management program within an organization.
OCEG’s Developing Certification Portfolio
These are the certifications that are under development and will soon be available within the OCEG professional certification suite:
- Integrated Risk & Decision Professional (IRDP)
- Integrated Compliance & Ethics Professional (ICEP)
- Integrated Governance & Oversight Professional (IGOP)
- Integrated Strategy & Performance Professional (ISPP)
- Integrated Security & Continuity Professional (ISCP)
At OCEG, we take pride in being the originator of Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC) with a rich legacy spanning 20 years in the field. Our commitment goes beyond certifications, rooted in a mission to democratize knowledge for GRC professionals worldwide. We believe in providing unrestricted access to essential educational materials because, in the realm of enhancing Governance, Risk, and Compliance, safety should never come at a price. OCEG certifications validate your expertise and align you with a community dedicated to advancing GRC practices globally. When you choose OCEG, you choose more than a certification – you choose to be part of a mission-driven organization shaping the future of GRC.