We inform, empower, and help advance more than 50,000 members with standards, resources and certifications.
Independent of specific professions, we provide standards, resources, and certifications to fill the gaps in areas where professionals may lack experience or training so that they become more effective across all GRC disciplines.
Our core ideas and best practices are available in our free, open source standard, the GRC Capability Model (commonly called the Red Book).
We promote Principled Performance as the universal goal of any organization. Principled Performance is the reliable achievement of objectives while addressing uncertainty and acting with integrity.
Our members include c-suite, executive, management, and other professionals from small and midsize businesses, international corporations, nonprofits, and government agencies. Our members represent the full spectrum professionals with GRC responsibilities, including executives and managers in:
- Internal Audit
- IT Audit
- Information Technology (IT)
- Human Resources (HR)
Our philosophy and values stem from experience as Fortune 50 executives, auditors, lawyers, IT professionals, research analysts and startup entrepreneurs. We use this diverse experience to shape what we do and how we do it. We use the “Well, I should hope so / hope not” test for all of our values (we hope all of these pass the test).
- Open. Allow anyone to join and participate, for FREE. Make most of our resources openly available, for free. Allow other organizations to build on our resources, for free.
- Diverse. The community is strongest when it comprises many professions (auditors, compliance managers, lawyers, risk officers, business operators), industries, sizes, geographies and cultures.
- Leader and Listener. At times, we must lead the community in our mutual journey. At other times, we must listen and be led by the community.
- Passionate. Our passion for Principled Performance, GRC and all of our themes is evident in the way that we take firm positions in the community.
- Inventive. Documenting current best practices ensures that companies can reach parity. Inventing and experimenting with new practices pushes us forward.
- Lean. Perfect can be the enemy of the Good. We employ “Lean Startup” approaches to all of our work so that real world feedback is captured early and often.
Meet Our Team
Scott L. Mitchell
Founder and Chair
Carole Stern Switzer
Co-Founder and President
Stephane G. Legay
Chief Technology Officer
Director of Finance
Director of Education
Knowledge Manager at OCEG
- B. Charles Ames
- Co-Chair, OCEG Advisory Board
- Vice-Chair, Clayton, Dubilier & Rice; director of Riverwood and Progressive Insurance
- Ron Berenbeim
- Director of Ethics Research, The Conference Board
- Alfred Berkeley
- Former Vice-Chair, NASDAQ
- Rick Braddock
- Chairman, Priceline; Former President Citibank; Board Member, Kodak; board Member, Cadbury-Schwepps
- Beth Brooke
- Vice-Chair, Ernst & Young
- John J. Castellani
- President, The Business Roundtable
- Dan DiFilippo
- US Managing Partner, Governance, Risk & Compliance, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Lee Dittmar
- Principal, Deloitte
- Charles Elson
- Executive Director, Center for Corporate Governance, University of Delaware
- Bob Felton
- Managing Partner for Corporate Governance Practice, McKinsey & Co.
- Jean FitzSimon
- Principal, Bridge Associates; co-chair for the Practising Law Institute’s Corporate Compliance Institute; co-chair of the American Bar Association’s Corporate Compliance Committee
- Stephen J. Friedman
- President, Pace Law School; former Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton; President of the Practising Law Institute; former Commissioner of SEC
- Peter Gleason
- COO, National Association of Corporate Directors
- Jack Hampton
- Former Executive Director, The U.S. Risk and Insurance Management Society
- Joseph Hardiman
- Former CEO, NASD and NASDAQ; former President of Alex Brown
- Dave Heller
- VP Risk Management and Chief Compliance Officer, Qwest
- Ray J. Groves
- Co-Chair, OCEG Advisory Board
- Former CEO, Ernst & Young; Director of EDS, MMC, and Gillette
- Scott L. Mitchell
- Chairman and CEO, OCEG
- Chairman and CEO, DoubleDrum Capital
- Jack Kemp
- Co-founder and chairman, Corporate Diagnostics; chairman, FreedomWorks; founder and chairman, Kemp Partners; former US Congressman, Cabinet Secretary and Vice Presidential Candidate (1935 – 2009)
- Richard Koppes
- Of Counsel, Jones Day; co-chair of Stanford Law School Executive Education; Director of the Investor Responsibility Research Center (IRRC); former general counsel and deputy officer of CalPERS
- Peter Kreindler
- General Counsel, Honeywell International, Inc.
- Patricia Leonard
- COO, American Management Association
- Andrall E. Pearson
- Founding Chairman, Tricon; director, Citigroup; YUM Brands, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the NYU Medical Center; professor emeritus, Harvard (1925 – 2006)
- Joseph J. Plumeri
- Executive Chairman and CEO, Willis Group Holdings LTD
- Ned Regan
- President, Baruch College; former Comptroller State of New York
- Gerald Rosenfeld
- CEO, Rothschild; Director of Case, Continental Grain
- Doug Shulman
- President, NASD Regulatory & Compliance Services
- Richard Steinberg
- Author, COSO Internal Control & COSO ERM; Partner, Steinberg Governance Advisors; former Managing Partner for Corporate Governance Practice, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Ken Thrasher
- Chairman and CEO, Compli
- Former CEO, Fred Meyer Stores, Division of Kroger
- Gabe Shawn Varges
- Senior Executive Legal Officer, Zurich Financial Services;
- co-chair for the Practising Law Institute’s Corporate Compliance Institute; chair Corporate Counsel Association’s European Corporate Governance Committee
- Christopher E. Watson
- Chairman and CEO, Gulf Insurance
- Leo C. O’Neill
- Former President, Standard & Poor’s (1940-2004)
- Jack Jennings
- Executive Vice President, Willis; Executive Advisory Council of St. John’s University School of Risk Management
- GRC Capability Model (Red Book) 3.0
- GRC Assessment Tools (BurgundyBook) 3.0
- GRC Technology Solutions (Blue Book) 3.0
- GRC-XML Development